Sunday, November 6, 2011

A New Teen Fad in the Works


It would seem that I do not read original, unknown books to report on. I read bestsellers and then report on what everyone already seems to know.

I began reading this little book (soon to be major motion picture) called The Hunger Games with my class of middle schoolers. I am an English teacher and I wanted them to read something that would be fun and interesting to them, as opposed to the traditional. That plan backfired, though, as they are middle school children and absolutely nothing interests them.

The plan also backfired when I was sucked into the tween trilogy and spent an entire week cooped up in my apartment unable to put the books down.

The media is comparing this series to Twilight and Harry Potter. And I will say that it does not hold a candle to HP. That's not to say that the Hunger Game series is bad or not enjoyable, but Harry Potter was an entire decade of books, movies, midnight showings, costumes, video games, theme park attractions and more. Twilight is a better comparison, however I did enjoy the Hunger Game series better than Twilight. It was better written, in my opinion and the story line was more inventive.

I'm not going to say this series of books is a MUST READ! unless you are a 13 year old girl. It was most definitely entertaining and very well thought out. It showed originality that is rare in this day and age, but the book itself is made for a younger audience. It's a thrilling, suspenseful series that I obviously couldn't put down.

It centers on a country called Panem, once North America. War, weather related disasters and people however changed the nation and civilization completely. The whole premise of the book centers around the "hunger games" in which the capitol of Panem, quite originally named The Capitol, chooses 1 boy and 1 girl between the ages of 12-18 from each district (city, 12 in all) to fight to the death. The winner of the 24 children, the one who is still alive at the very end of it all, receives much needed supplies for him or herself and the whole district in which he or she lives. The drama unfolds as Katniss, the main character in the series, is placed into the Hunger Games with a young man, Peeta. The two of them create a dynamic strategy for survival that makes audiences go wild. It's a story about love (of course, it's a tween trilogy), human survival, friendship and trust.

With the movie due to come out in March 2012, it's bound to be a bigger hit than it already is.

No comments:

Post a Comment